navigation

Wednesday 23 September 2015

My Nail Polish Storage and Collection




I've written a fair few posts centred around the topic of nail polish on this 'ere blog ever since its incarnation over a year ago now. Whether it be my beloved Polish Pick posts, favourite tools or just general tips 'n' tricks - you can find them all on this lovely little category here. However, one I've certainly not covered before is my actual Nail Polish Collection (and the way in which I store it). A little surprising, I know, considering how many other nail posts I've done, but after finally getting my storage system down (I posted this Instagram about a week ago cause I was so chuffed with it) and having yet another streamlining sesh before transferring everything over - I think it's time. Ready? Let's do this...

First things first - let's talk the storage set-up itself. Now, having already given a nod to this Bad Boy in this recent post, I'll try and keep things a little more short 'n' sweet in this post and try and briefly summarise without rambling. Yeah, ok - like that's gonna happen. Anyway, introducing the 70 Bottle Nail Polish Display Stand. I'd decided a while back that I wanted to upgrade my storage system to one similar to how I store the rest of my makeup, with an Acrylic finish, and with redecorating work finally beginning on my Bedroom, I at last took the plunge and bought one. This holds a heck of a lot of nail polish, and while I may not completely fill I up just yet, I think it's always best to plan ahead and buy for more than you already have - as let's face it - my love for the stuff ain't looking like it's decreasing anytime soon.
 
Now, moving onto my actual collection of nail polish itself. I spent a while thinking about just how I wanted to arrange my polishes once they were transferred into my new storage set-up and I finally settled on one that I'm now very content with. I opted to organise my lacquers by brand and then by finish. So for example, I'd group all my Barry M polishes together, dividing them into one type or effect at a time so it's super easy for me to see what I've got, what I perhaps don't need and what I'm maybe missing from my collection. It also make the whole process of picking out a polish to paint my nails with a hell of a lot easier and more efficient. So, from left to right; starting at the top row and working our way down - let's get started.
 
Beginning at the top row, we have my range of Barry M Nail Polishes. They're by far the brand I own the most of, and in many ways are one of my favourites when it comes to nail lacquer. They're a fab brand when it comes to finishes and effects and the formulas are pretty darn good too. Fist off comes my collection of their Gelly Hi-Shine range. I love this range - they come in some really pretty colours and have a lovely super glossy finish akin to salon gel nails. We have 'Pomegranate' (a rich, raspberry pink), 'Grapefruit' (a lovely neon-ish bright pink), 'Papaya' (a pastel orange colour), 'Prickly Pear' (a pastel lilac), 'Sky Blue' (a very light pastel baby blue), 'Green Berry' (a - you guessed it - bright minty green), 'Guava' (a gorgeous bright turquoise colour), 'Kiwi' (a lovely bright jade green), 'Damson' (a gorgeous vibrant electric blue) and 'Blackberry' (a deep navy). We first have the original Nail Paints, which while not possessing any particular finish, come in some gorgeous colours and have a great formulation.

The next row down holds more Barry M beauties - this time in the original Nail Paint formula. We firstly have 'Peach Melba' (a gorgeous light peach - surprise, surprise - which I actually bought way back for my School Leavers so now cannot bear to get rid of), 'Starlet' (a pinky iridescent glitter from their Glitterati sub-line), 'Birthday' (one of my favourites of my whole collection - a gorgeous pink-based glitter with specks of white, purple and pink running through it - released as part of Superdrug's 50th Birthday a couple of years ago), 'Ruby Slippers' (a dark, full-coverage red shimmer that to me comes off as a little raspberry in some lights), 'Raspberry' - smooth transition there (a lovely - you guessed it - rich raspberry shade), 'Berry Cosmo' (a deep almost aubergine-like purple), 'Vintage Violet' (a muted purple with a predominant grey tinge to it), a seasonal silver glitter from a few years back called the amazingly imaginative 'Silver Glitter' and 'Black Gold Mine' (a black base speckled with flecks of bright gold glitter). The final two for this row are from their Sunset line (which I've already spoken about a few times) and I have one of the colours - 'Peach For The Stars' - and the special Topcoat which you need to use to finish everything off and get that gel nail-like effect.

Moving onto the third row - we have the final lot from Barry M (I promise). Starting with the one and only shade from their Silk range that I currently own, I have 'Blossom' (a gorgons pale pink with that pearly sheen that runs throughout the entire line, hence the name). I then have four from their Speedy Quick Dry range (another range which I love). I have the shades 'Eat My Dust' (a pretty pale cornflower blue), 'In A Heart Beat' (a pale coral-tinged pink), 'Need For Speed' (a bright, but not too bright purple that's just that perfect medium between your paler lilacs and darker purple hues) and my most recent addition - 'Dead Heat' - from their latest Autumn Collection. A true, bright red that just looks stunning on everyone and is a staple hue in every nail polish addict's collection. I then have some of the Rimmel Salon Pro's (which have to be one of my personal favourite nail formulas I've found) so surprise, surprise - I own a fair few shades. I have 'Hip Hop' (a pinky coral), 'Mars' (a slightly burgundy-tinged classic red) and 'Red Ginger' (a bright raspberry red). I then have a couple of Rimmel glitters - the first being the 'Ruby Crush' from their Precious Stones range (a sparkly red glitter flecked with silver).

Onto the second-from-last row, I then have the second and final Rimmel glitter in my collection - 'Midnight Mistletoe' - a glitter full of red, green and gold sparkle which I loved using throughout the festive season last year - from their Glitter Bomb collection. More from Rimmel, and I really love their 60 Seconds Nail Polishes - especially the ones in their collaboration with Rita Ora. I have the colours 'Roll In The Grass' (a pretty minty green) and 'Tangerine Tent' (a bright, almost neon-ish orange). I have a couple from Miss Sporty that I've owned for ages now and should probably throw away at some point - but I just can't, yanno? I have an am amazing shinmery bright orange from their Clubbing Colours collection that I cannot for the life of me find the name of and one of their Lasting Colour finishes - a standard black, great as a base coat to a glitter - which I again can't find the name of - good times. Moving onto Collection, I really like the formula of their Hot Looks Polishes - I think one of this range was actually the first nail polish I ever bough - #FunFact. I have the shades 'Hula Hoop' (a lovely candy pink and again, one of my personal favourite favourites of my whole collection and one I've used so much it's almost all gone - boo!) and 'Parma Violet' (a deep violet - contrary to the namesake it may be associated with). Finally from Collection, I have one of their glitters that I believe they don't make anymore - one of the Bedazzled Nail Effects in 'Tea At The Glitz' - and their '2 in 1 Stronger and Longer Nail Treatment' which has become a firm fave of mine over these past few months. I also have one little number from Seventeen - one of their Glitter Nail Effects in 'Gold' (what is it with son brands and their mind-numbingly dull names, eh?)

Finally, we have row number five - I promise this post is coming to an end soon! I have a few from Maybelline - and I have to say they are the brand I've gotten most 'into' this year nails-wise, having found some proper gems amongst their stands - in terms of both formulas and colours. Starting with an old favourite though - this Colorama Glitter Topcoat in 'Cold As Ice'. I'm pretty certain they don't make anymore, but I still have some left and use it occasionally and each time I do I'm reminded of how darn great it is. A friend bought it for me ages ago and I still love it now. I then have a couple from one of their ranges I've discovered this year - their Color Show collection. These have a great formulation and lovely colours too. I have the glitter-filled 'Bouquet' which started this whole obsession off as it's so beautiful. A clear base filled with rose-gold, pale pink and white specks - this has me written all over it. I also have the shade 'Coral Craze' (a more peachy take on a coral as opposed to the pinkier versions you commonly see). Finally from Maybelline I have the most recent find, but perhaps the best. It took me so long to get round to trying these out, but I can confirm the Super Stay 7 Day Polishes are awesome. I've only got the shades 'Surreal' (a pretty cornflower blue with a hint of purple in it) and 'Divine Wine' (a deep, burgundy red colour) so far but rest assured, I'm sure it won't be long before my colour range grows. Last, but certainly not least I have one sole polish from the Tanya Burr Cosmetics range - 'Pic 'N' Mix' - a pretty pale, but not too pale baby pink.

And there we have it! Apologies for the super, super-long post - but hey, I guess it's not everyday you get the opportunity to ramble on about your nail polish collection! How does your own shape up? Any you feel I need to add? Come on, enable me...

2 comments:

  1. I love the storage - it would definitely tempt me to fill it though ;) So jealous of your collection, Barry M Gelly polishes are my favourite!

    Claire | Stylingo.co.uk | xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I don't think the space spaces are going to be empty for too long... haha! X

      Delete

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS