navigation

Friday 1 September 2017

A Replenishing Makeup Haul...


Let's kick off September with a good ol' haul, eh? Over the past couple of weeks, I've done a fair amount of beauty spending but in all fairness - most of it has been fairly justifiable. Not that there's ever really purchases that can be deemed 'right' or 'wrong' or that you ever have give proper reason for what you buy but if we're looking at whether I actually needed these items or simply wanted them - I actually needed every single one. Call it a kind of 'replenishing' beauty haul or whatever - basically a load of things that I bought to replace something else that is all used up (or nearly used up at least). There's a couple of direct replacements (where it's the exact same product) and also a few new ones too - where I've picked up completely new, fresh products that I've never tried before to take over from where my current faves have left off. Let's take a look at what I picked up...

First up - I've been needing some new eye brushes for a while now. I invested in the classic, eye 'Starter Set' from Real Techniques waaay back when I first started properly getting into makeup - probably about three-four years ago - and there's a couple from that very set which honestly, have now seen better days. Whilst I love Real Techniques and always find their brushes to be awesome and both wash and last really well, makeup brushes will only last so long and seeing as I've owned the ones from that collection for so many years and they have gotten so much continued use - I guess it's no surprise that there are a couple which now need replacing. A few are still a-ok, but my Deluxe Crease Brush from that set is properly beaten up and I've noticed recently that the glue for the bristles has loosened and so I was after picking up a set which hopefully included another one, plus perhaps a couple of brand-new different brushes to add to my pre-existing stash. And luckily, I found one and it is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. This is the 'Ultimate Eye Set' and I am so happy with it. Along with a new 'Deluxe Crease Brush', there's a 'Shading Brush' (I already have one and love it so I'm super happy to have another), a 'Fine Liner Brush' (again, another brush which I already have one of and I personally love for uber-precise spot concealing) and also a couple of set exclusives too. There's the 'Essential Crease Brush' (you can never really have too many fluffy, crease blending brushes and this one in particular looks more tapered than the ones I currently own) and the 'Eyeliner Brush' (which, while I never tend to use these types of brushes for their actual purpose, I do find them handy for sometimes 'carving out' the brow). All in all, aswell as a brand new replacement brush in there, I've also got a couple of old favourites and also a couple of brand-new styles too. There's a good mixture and if their previous brushes are anything to go by - I really cannot complain. Amazing quality brushes at an equally-amazing pricepoint of just £20.00! Bargain...

Moving onto Makeup, I really needed to replenish my beloved Rimmel Match Perfection Silky Loose Powder in 'Translucent'. Since discovering the whole concept of makeup 'baking' (a.k.a. packing on a tonne of loose, translucent setting powder with a slightly-dampened sponge, leaving it for a few minutes and then dusting off the excess) the one, completely colourless loose powder that I've fully fallen for has been this one and so i guess it's no big shock that I'm starting to to get near the end of my current tub. If I really like a makeup product (or pretty much any beauty item) and it starts to near its end and I want to continue using it, I like to repurchase as soon as possible so there's no time where I don't have it in my life at all and so that's exactly what I've done with this. As I said, this is the best translucent loose powder that I've tried so far - it's super finely-milled, doesn't leave behind any colour, never flashes back in photos, sets things fully and doesn't leave me looking cakey or heavy. Overall, it's all kinds of awesome and I am so glad to have a back-up ready for when my current tub does finally give up the ghost.

Eyes-wise, this is the department where I really re-invested. As for straight-up repurchases, I was in desperate need of another one of my NYX Epic Ink Liquid Liner so obviously, that is something I've picked up another one of recently. This has fast overtaken my deep love for the Soap and Glory Supercat Liner and is currently my go-to for when I want to crack out the classic winged liner. It's sharp, precise, relatively easy to use, super rich and black in pigment, has a nice semi-matte finish and once applied - doesn't move all. day. long. It's quite affordable too and though, as I said, my current one is now running out (plus the actual brush nib is starting to go all sprawled and just useless) it has lasted me fairly well considering how fast liquid liners tend to run out/dry up. Love this stuff. Then, for the eyebrows, my current brow pencil is starting to near its end and seeing as, for me, brows are something which is an utter essential every time I do my makeup and the thought of not having anything to actually fill them in with (as for brow gels, I am totally fine for now) with kinda terrifies me *shudders* - I knew I needed to act fast and get something in my stash ready for when I need it. I was contemplating repurchasing my Maybelline Brow Precise Micro Brow Pencil in 'Deep Brown' (the pencil I have been using - and loving) but then, something else caught my eye online which I instantly knew had to be the next thing I tried out. And it was the Fleur De Force x Eylure Brow Define Pencil. I already love Fleur's false eyelash range she has with Eylure and though her recent expansion into brow products hadn't really grabbed my attention - the release of a brow pencil to the range recently certainly did. It was something I mentally added to my Beauty Shopping List at the time and it was only seeing it on the Boots website that I remembered and instantly added it to my basket. It's a dual-ended set up and though usually for brow pencils that equates one side 'pencil', one side 'spoolie', Fleur has overturned that by instead offering two different shades - one on either end. On one end you get a lighter hue and on the other a darker tone and the idea is that you either use one colour all-over, or combine the two - using the lighter colour at the front and the darker towards the end and to add extra shape and definition - to create the lusted-after 'faded brow'. I personally picked it up in 'Medium' as both colours look to match up best to the colours I like to use on my brows (both light and dark) and I am super excited to try it out. Yes, you miss out on a handy spoolie, but you can easily pick one up super-cheap elsewhere (or even use on from an empty brow pencil, like I think I will) and I just love the idea that you get two colours, in one compact product. Usually, I either have to pick up two colours of the same pencil or simply pick up the darker one and try and carefully fill in the front with a lighter hand but this eliminates that issue and I can't wait to try it out and report back if it is as good as it sounds! Finally, for the ol' Eyes, I picked up a new mascara. Mascara is always something I generally run out of pretty regularly (seeing as I use it every time I do my makeup and they tend to dry up over time anyway) and so i am always repurchasing either the same one, or a completely different one and this time round - I opted for the latter. The brand-new L'Oreal Paradise Mascara has received a tonne of hype over the past few months. First, it was released over in the US and everyone and their Nan was going cray cray for it and now, it's finally made its way over to our UK shores and again, everyone and anyone is raving about it. I think I am yet to see a bad review of any sort and so I for one am so glad I can at last get my hands on it. Many people have said it is kind of a dupe for the Too Faced 'Better Than Sex Mascara - which I have tired myself too and love - and so if that is really true, I am pretty darn hopeful that me and this mascara will get along just fine. As with pretty much everything in this haul, I will let you know...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS