navigation

Monday 25 September 2017

Tried and Tested: Soph x Makeup Revolution Palettes












A week or so ago, the lovely Sophie from 'SophDoesNails' announced her very first makeup collaboration with one of my personal favourite, super-affordable (and yet still super amazing quality) brands - Makeup Revolution. Ever since discovering it sometime last year, I have become a big fan of Sophie's channel and just generally her as a person too. She really does seem like one of the most genuine, down-to-Earth and 'normal' YouTubers I've come across and so, when she made this rather exciting announcement recently - it's safe to say I was pretty darn excited (as it would seem everyone else was too). Despite her channel name, Sophie has become mostly well-known for her makeup skills and so I guess it's rather apt that this is her very first collaboration and with her eyeshadow always on-point and her highlight always beaming - what better than an eyeshadow palette and a highlight palette? As soon as I saw them in Sophie's video, I just knew I had to get my hands on both and pretty much as soon as they were both launched last week on TAM Beauty - I did exactly that. A few days later, they arrived and I promptly got into swatching, playing and using them - all after photographing them first, ofc - and I figured it be'd rude not to review them for you lovely lot. Let's get started, yeah?

As I said, Sophie's released two palettes as part of this very first collaboration with good ol' Makeup Rev and not only do they both look amazing (inside and out), they're both super affordable too. The eyeshadow palette retails for only £10, whilst the highlighter palette is even more of a steal at just £8 and I for one am super impressed that Sophie's stuck to her drugstore roots with this product launch and collaborated with one of the best, most affordable brands out there to bring out products that are so low in price-point and yet, hopefully, super good in quality too. Both have a cardboard outer casing - as is usual for all Makeup Revolution palettes - and both have the same light, peachy-nude colour scheme with rose gold embellishment. The watercolour effect emblazoned on the outer packaging of the eyeshadow palette was even based on a real-life design that Sophie herself painted. OoohThe highlighter edition has a little plastic window so you can see just what's inside, whilst the eyeshadow palette is left completely covered up until you open it up for the very first time. Inside, you get a handy little plastic covering with the shade names blazoned on it and one thing I really love is how all of the names were hand-picked by Sophie and in some way or another, are personal to her or mean something to her in some way. There's even a little YouTube dedication in there with the shade name 'Fairy Lights' - inspired by her typical filming background! All in all, you can see that there has been a lot of thought put into both of these palettes and when opening them up, that theme continues. Both of these palettes are so Sophie and so darn beautiful too. They are even more pretty in real life than they appear online and again, you can really see there has been a lot time, effort and consideration been put in behind the scenes. It's safe to say I was pretty eager to get trying them out by this point, that's for sure...

The Soph x Makeup Revolution Eyeshadow Palette retails, as I mentioned earlier, for a pretty bargainous price of just £10 and considering how inside you get a grand total of 24 shades - that are all completely unique to one another and a mix of both matte and shimmer formulas - that's a rather good deal if you ask me. The pans are all of a good size and one thing I really love about it is that there's no designated spot for a crappy, scratchy 'brush' (or even worst, sponge-tip applicator *shudders*) that's so useless that we all throw it out immediately after opening the palette. Winner. What is inside though is a ma-hoosive mirror - an essential for taking your palette away with you or simply doing you makeup on-the-go. I do love a good mirror inside a palette or compact - as I'm sure a lot of people do too. Onto the palette itself though and oh me, oh my is it a stunner. I say this about a lot of eyeshadow palettes but genuinely, this has to be one of the best shade line-up's I've come across. There's basically a mix of everything - from your most basic and neutral of shades to your most 'out-there' pops of colour - this palette can do it all. There's a matte white and a matte black - two essentials in any palette in my opinion - and also tonnes of matte transition or crease shades for any skin-tone and any look. You've got your very on-trend warm shades (my personal fave) but also some cooler-toned shadows thrown into the mix aswell and as I mentioned - one thing I personally love the most is that there are a fair few pops of colour included too. There's a gorgeous khaki green, a vivid purple, a sparkly, festive red - and there's also the matter of what has to be the shade which kinda sold the whole palette to me from the off - 'Petrol'. Oh. My. Goodness. As soon as I spotted this stunning, sort of MAC Blue Brown Pigment-esque shade in the mix, I just knew I had to pick this palette up. It's blue, but with undertones of brown, purple, red - you name it - it's such an interesting shade that you really don't see very often, if at all, and I have been after something like it for ages so I was super pleased to see one pop up in such an affordable, accessible palette like this. As for the shadows themselves, I can confirm that they are just as amazing as they look. Every single shadow is creamy, applies onto the lid easy-peasy, blends like a dream, has little to no falldown (or kick-back in the pan itself either) and - best of all - are so, super-duper pigmented and rich in colour. There is not one shade which is an exception to the amazing quality of the others and for such an affordable palette (and with so many shades too) - that sure is a mean feat. I also feel the shimmers especially are some of, if not the best, shimmers in an eyeshadow palette that I've tried so far. They are creamy, well-pigmented and actually look as shimmery and intense on the eyes as they do in the pan. I don't have to 'wet' the brush to achieve full intensity and overall, I feel I am even more hyped about them than the matte shadows - which doesn't usually happen. Overall, I've been reaching for this palette every single day I've worn makeup since starting using it and am really enjoying creating so many different looks with it. It's definitely versatile, that's for sure, and I can envisage this becoming my new go-to for if I need to take one eyeshadow palette away with me. It's basically got every shade I'd need, all in one. Can you tell I'm in love?

Moving onto the Soph x Makeup Revolution Highlighter Palette - which retails at an even more affordable price of £8 - and after trying out the Eyeshadow Palette, it's safe to say I was even more excited to crack this beauty open too. As I said, this is just £8 and inside you get eight different powder highlighters - of all different shades, tones and formulas too. That's basically £1 a highlighter - crazy stuff, right? There's a mix of 'baked' and 'pressed' textures - designed so there's a mix of different finishes for whatever look or effect you're after - and though, being a fellow paler gal like myself, Soph has definitely well-catered for us of the fairer skintones (something that, especially in highlighter palettes, isn't always the case), she's also ensured that darker and deeper guys and gals aren't left out either. The palette can be easily split down the middle - four shades for the lighter skin tones, four shades for the deeper skin tones - but of course, you can easily utilise the colours that aren't up your street, or your colouring, as eyeshadows. I am already eyeing up those golds, coppers and bronzes on the right hand side as the perfect warm, shimmery wash of colour across the lids and will certainly be giving that a go very soon. As actual highlighters though, the left-hand quad is just perfect for my skintone and every single shade is just so, so good. You've got a pale, creamy white (something that we all knew Soph would include, seeing as she is forever on the hunt for highlighters that fall into that colour family), a slightly warmer, light champagne-y gold (probably the one which matches up the most to the sort of glows I wear everyday) and then two slightly more 'out there' baked colours - a pale lilac and pale peachy-pink. Though, as I said, I do tend to stick to the creams, golds and champagnes on the daily glow-wise, I also really enjoy using pink-y and purple-y tones as highlighters when I want something a little 'different' so all in all - the colour selection in terms of actual highlighters for my skintone is pretty spot-on for me. But, again, what we all want to really know is how they work and let me tell you - they are so, so good. Just like the eyeshadow palette, though the price-point is so low, the quality most definitely isn't. They are so well-pigmented and you really do not need a lot at all to achieve that proper, glazed doughnut-esque effect. Though they do come off a little chunky once you get a brush into the pan, they do not apply that way to the skin at all and instead sit really nicely on the skin and do not look heavy or cakey at all. As I said, a little goes a really long way, so do beware, but something I do really love is that with the right amount and a light hand - you can go in subtly and softly with these highlighters. If you are not about that blinding glow life, you can still achieve something more sheen-ey with the right application and I really like that. Cause sometimes, even someone like me likes something a little less intense for her highlight. Yes, really. Overall, yet another huge success and again, I cannot believe the high quality of this product considering how affordable it is. Cray cray.

So, I think we all know by now how I feel about both of these palettes - I love them, a heck of a lot. I have always been a fan of Makeup Revolution but I really do feel that with this collaboration, they have out-done themselves even more so. I have a couple of other palettes from them already and while they are awesome, for some reason I feel the standard has been raised with this range and I am so pleased for Sophie for being able to create something so great, with such a good price-point too. These have quickly become my new go-to's for eyeshadow and highlighter and I can't see that changing anytime soon. If you haven't gone out and bought one or both of them yet - do it, now - you really will not regret it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS