navigation

Monday 14 March 2016

Tried and Tested: Battle Of The Micellar Water - Simple VS Garnier


You may remember last month when I did this haul that I picked up a different micellar water to give a go. I know - shock horror. Usually I'm all about the Garnier one (the original version with the pink lid), though this time round when that dispersed its last drop I fancied trying something new and so the Simple one was added to my online basket instead. However, as you would've seen in Friday's post (here) I bought another one - yes, really - when I dropped into my local Boots after it got drawn to my attention that Garnier had launched a new edition of theirs - titled 'Oil-Infused'. So, with two now floating round in my collection, I decided to give both a go and see how they compare - to each other and to my beloved Garnier Micellar Water - and which one I perhaps prefer. Wanna see what I found? Carry on reading...

Let's kick things off with the Simple Kind To Skin Micellar Water. This retails at £4.49 and contains 200ml - so around a similar price of the Garnier one, but with about half less product. It claims to be 'triple-purified and enriched with minerals and multi-vitamins' and is 'especially designed to give the most effective cleanse, whilst hydrating the skin. It actively works to attract make-up and impurities whilst unclogging pores and allowing skin to breathe'. I plumped for this mainly due to the fact that I've sampled a few other Simple products over the past few months and have found them to work really well on my skin (which as you probably know, can be rather sensitive) and this was no exception. This felt very similar to the Garnier one in that it just felt like actual water on my skin, with no oily or sticky residue. It took off my makeup without too much fuss at all and I didn't find I needed an excessive amount to do so. It didn't aggregate my skin in any way whilst using it  - and I didn't wake up the next morning looking like a tomato (always a bonus) - and afterwards my skin really did feel not only clean, but also comfortable and not in any way dry. If I had to be critical in any way, I'd perhaps say that while it didn't make my eyes hurt or sting - it did feel just a tad less comfortable around my eye area than my Garnier one. Other than that,  I'd say this compares pretty well and would it not be for the fact you don't get as much for your money, I'd most likely buy this again.

Next up for this 'beauty battle'-type post is the Garnier SkinActive Oil-Infused Micellar Cleansing Water. This retails at £5.99 (so a little more expensive than the original Garnier Micellar Water which is £4.99) and has double what you get in Simple's version - 400ml. This claims to be 'an easy way to remove even waterproof make-up and cleanse and nourish the feel of skin, in 1 step without rinsing. The micelles (cleansing agents) capture impurities like a magnet and lift away dirt from the skin, whilst the oils instantly dissolve all types of makeup'. In summary, this is a micellar water formulated with an oil layer that in theory should help make removing your makeup a faster and more effective process and hydrate and nourish the skin at the same time. And now, having given this a go - I'd say I agree. I gave this a good shake before using to mix everything together and dispensed some onto a cotton pad and the first difference I really noticed was the fact that this one has a fragrance to it. The original Garnier Micellar Water is completely scent-free (so perhaps more 'safe' when it comes to super sensitive skin), but this one does has a whiff to it - however it's actually rather nice. As for the formula itself, it doesn't feel worlds away from the normal version. It still feels very lightweight and akin to water, though you can definitely tell it's got a tad more 'substance' to it. Personally, my biggest worry about this one was that the addition of an oil may make it greasy, but thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case - Hallelujah! Instead, I find the oil does indeed make my slap slip off my face with greater ease and especially when taken round my eye area. I feel like I'm using slightly less product compared to the standard version and afterwards my skin feels clean and super soft and hydrated at the same time. And the best part? There's still no sight of any oily residue. All the goodness has actually gone into and been absorbed by my skin, rather than simply sitting on top and detracting from the fact that in essence, this is supposed to be a cleansing product. Don't get me wrong - I love (and still do love) the classic Garnier Micellar Water - but to me, this is the perfect upgrade if you fancy your cleansing water having a bit more somethin' somethin' to it that makes it go that extra mile past purely cleaning your face.

So, what's the verdict? All in all, I really like both of these, a lot. Simple's Micellar Water is great if you want just that - a straight-up cleansing water that does the job well. If you're a newbie to the world of cleansing waters, this would probably be the one I'd point you in the direction of as it's a great starting point. It's also probably the safest bet if you find that your skincare has to be a fragrance-free zone. Personally, I'd say if I had to pick a winner the Garnier Oil-Infused one was my favourite, purely down to the fact that I'm a bit of an experienced gal when it comes to my cleansing waters and this one jumps out at me as the ideal progression from the standard versions I've used in the past. It's tailored a little more to my exact skin type, with the addition of the oil being a tad more caring aswell as cleansing on my skin. I still love classic micellar water formulas and I can see them being something I will always come back to - but I think I've found their replacement, at least for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS